Sheikh Hamid’s mother questions rights of Kashmiri women

General Press Release

Srinagar, May 08, 2016 (PPI-OT): In occupied Kashmir, twenty-six years have passed since police took Zoona, the mother of martyred Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front commander, Sheikh Abdul Hamid into custody to force Hamid to surrender. While the detention gave the determined mother no pangs, she was worried for her second son, who was a toddler then. But as it is said where there is a will there is a way, Hamid’s sister would take the baby twice to police station at Shergarhi where Zoona would breastfeed her.

Unaware of the fact that the world observes a day to honour women, Zoona gave a sarcastic smile. “What do people do on this day?”, she questioned. When told that seminars, debates, processions are held to seek enforcement of the rights of women, she said nobody showed any concern for Kashmiri women. “We have been raped, molested and humiliated during the past twenty-five years. Wasn’t it enough to evoke a reaction from the champions of women rights,” she said.

Zoona has no regrets for spending eight days in illegal police custody. “My husband was with me and in fact it was a great relief from the daily nocturnal raids on our house.” She, however thanked the people of Kashmir for observing complete shutdown for seven days to seek our release. “This was the first time in Kashmir history when the police was made to succumb,” she said.

Zoona tore her costly embroidered Pheran when somebody told her about her son’s injury and hospitalization on a gloomy evening in 1989. A police man had fired at Hamid in Srinagar leaving him critically injured. He was taken into custody immediately. “It was a difficult moment. I wept bitterly but a few hours later, I was told Hamid was out of danger. I heaved a sigh of relief,” she said. But, he died in a boat capsize while crossing the Jhelum near Aali Kadal in Srinagar on November 19, 1992.

For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Phone: 92-51-4435548, 4435549
Fax: 92-51-4861736